Wednesday, December 24, 2014

December Daily - December 16th Words & Photos

Today was a day for wrapping and attempting new baking.
One of the blogs I follow posted a link to this recipe for Crockpot Candy that her momma made every Christmas.  I remembered seeing this last year and wanting to try it.  So off I went to the grocery store, Walmart, another grocery store - in a desperate search for the ingredients.  I didn't find them.  Almond Bark and German Chocolate?  Who wants to tell me where I can find those in Ontario? haha  So I ended up improvising and googling substitutions and threw together something that looked like it might turn out the same.  It didn't.  It is OK, but it is nothing special.  The next time I get a chance to go across to the US I am going to have a look see for the REAL ingredients and try again.  This is what I threw together:


Layered in the crockpot in the following order: peanuts, almonds, toffees (mix together), white chocolate, semi-sweet chipits, milk chocolate bar.


After about 2 hours I stirred - it could have used a stir earlier - and discovered that there was probably not enough chocolate.  So I added in 3/4 of a bag of milk chocolate chips, let that melt for about 20 minutes, stirred again, and portioned off the mixture by spooning small mounds onto wax paper.  They are tasty, very chocolatey but nothing amazing that I would like to repeat.  If I do find the proper ingredients and try again i will definitely use the almonds as I like the different texture of the two types of nuts together.

While all of this was cooking away I spent some time wrapping.  Still so much to do, but such an enjoyable task with a cup of hot cocoa and Miracle on 34th Street playing!  Definitely feeling back in the Christmas spirit today!  Plus I got to snuggle the new babe - bonus.



Today's Christmas Movie - Miracle on 34th Street (me), Frosty the Snowman (again)

December Daily® is a December mini-album project devised by Ali Edwards with the simple goal of capturing the spirit of December via one story per day. Read more on her website here.

No comments:

>

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin